Jobs – Staff Attorney
Job Title: Staff Attorney Date: 07-06-2018
Innovation Law Lab (Law Lab) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that advances the rights of immigrants and refugees. The Law Lab creates collaborative systems driven by data and individual narrative to tackle the world’s greatest legal challenges.
In May 2018, over 120 recently-arrived immigrants were transferred to the federal prison in Sheridan, Oregon to await next steps in their immigration cases. Following concerted legal advocacy and an emergency lawsuit, the Innovation Law Lab gained access to provide pro bono legal services to every person at Sheridan who desires it.
The Staff Attorney reports to the Executive Director and will work closely with the Program Manager, the BorderX Program Director and other members of the Innovation Law Lab team to provide legal representation to the individuals detained at the federal prison in Sheridan, Oregon.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide legal services to the individuals detained at the federal prison in Sheridan, Oregon
- Oversee the work of a cadre of volunteer attorneys, legal assistants, and interpreters
- Foster collaborative relationships with local law firms, non-profit organizations, elected officials, and immigrant communities
- Identify legal advocacy issues
- Confer regularly with legal counsel around possible litigation
- Work closely with Innovation Law Lab’s team to develop a vision and a strategy for our work as it relates to the mass criminalization, detention, and deportation of immigrants
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The following are the minimum levels required to successfully perform the essential job duties and responsibilities.
- A Juris Doctor degree and admission to the bar
- One or more years of experience practicing before immigration courts, familiarity with asylum and other forms of immigration relief
- Dedication to working with immigrant clients
- Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively on a team, in a fastpaced, high-intensity environment
- Excellent written, analytical, oral, and organizational and time management skills
- Must consistently demonstrate teamwork and positive day-to-day work relationships and interactions with staff, stakeholders, government officials, and others
- Experience working with volunteers, immigrant communities, and/or in detention center settings
- Ability to read, write, speak, and comprehend Spanish, Punjabi, or Nepali at an intermediate or better level
Environment and Physical Requirements: The Staff Attorney will be based in Sheridan, Oregon and must be able to travel to Portland, Oregon on a regular basis. The Staff Attorney interacts with staff, visitors, vendors, government agencies, and others. The position sits, stands, walks, bends, lifts, stoops, and moves intermittently during working hours. The incumbent must be able to lift, push, pull and move files and other equipment in excess of 10 pounds.
Hours: The Staff Attorney position is full time and works a minimum of 32 hours per week, although business need may require the incumbent to work significantly more hours during certain periods. This may include evenings, weekends, and holidays. The position is classified as exempt and is not eligible for overtime pay. As a point of reference, Law Lab’s typical “core” office hours are 8:30am to 5:00pm Monday through Thursday, and 8:30am to 4:00pm on Fridays unless changed by the Executive Director. The Executive Director approves the position’s actual scheduled hours, and determines if a set schedule is necessary.
Other Duties and Responsibilities: This job description is a summary of the essential duties and responsibilities for this job, and it does not necessarily represent an all-inclusive list of duties, responsibilities, tasks or procedures. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instruction or assignments. Nothing in this description restricts Law Lab’s right to assign or reassign duties at any time.
Accommodation Statement: Essential job duties and responsibilities are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform the job successfully, an incumbent or applicant must possess the experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform each essential duty and responsibility proficiently. If you require an accommodation in order to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of this job, please contact the Law Lab Executive Director.
Innovation Law Lab is an Equal Opportunity Employer