Like never before, the COVID–19 pandemic is showing us that our individual health and well-being is inextricably linked to the health and well-being of others. The entire Innovation Law Lab team is now working remotely in order to help break the COVID–19 infection chain. Fortunately, our legal representation programs are specifically designed to leverage the power of technology and remote volunteers.
Immigrants and refugees are particularly vulnerable to this pandemic. Immigration court filing deadlines are still in place, members of our communities are afraid to access healthcare in emergency situations, and thousands of men, women, and children are being held in crowded and unsanitary prison cells. Immigrant families, many now going without pay, are forced to navigate this daunting situation from the margins of our society.
Now more than ever, we must defend the rights of immigrants and refugees. We are all in this together.
These Are Our Demands
Government officials have the power and obligation to mitigate this public health crisis and prevent widespread harm to our communities. The COVID–19 pandemic demands immediate and aggressive action to protect public health and save lives.
Innovation Law Lab is calling on those in positions of leadership within the federal government to immediately:
- Release all men, women, and children from ICE detention;
- Freeze all ICE operations;
- End all deportation hearings; and
- Parole the “Remain in Mexico” refugees.
Call your Members of Congress
- Contact information for your Member of Congress in the House of Representatives can be found by following this link.
- Contact information for your Member of Congress in the Senate can be found by following this link.Script:
Hello, my name is ____. I am a constituent. I am concerned for the people imprisoned by ICE during this pandemic. I ask ______ to please show their commitment to human rights and public health by doing everything in the power to demand that ICE release all from detention, freeze its operations, and parole the “Remain in Mexico” refugees. I demand that immigration court hearings and deadlines be halted to help minimize the loss of life.
Write a letter to your Governor, Mayor, and head of Health Department.
- Elected officials have the ability to intervene by initiating immediate inquiries and using the power of their office to demand the federal government do what is right.
- Follow this link to access a template letter to be sent to your local elected officials.