Date: 5/08/2023 Due date: Position Open until filled
Category: Full Time FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Innovation Law Lab (Law Lab) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that leverages technology, law, and organizing to fight for immigrant and refugee justice. Our collaborative legal representation model and technology transform the way lawyers and advocates scale their work to provide effective support to immigrants in hostile jurisdictions.
Law Lab engages strategically in litigation to defend asylum and fundamental human rights, including cases challenging the implementation of Title 42, the ongoing impacts of the Remain in Mexico program, and rights violations against Haitian asylum seekers in Del Rio, Texas. Law Lab also plays a vital role in the development and implementation of some of Oregon’s most progressive immigration policies, including the community-led disbursement of life-changing pandemic relief funds and Oregon’s Universal Representation program, Equity Corps of Oregon. Law Lab’s Anticarceral Legal Organizing program also works to shut down immigration prisons, engaging in freedom campaigns to get individuals out of detention and helping local communities imagine and build their own futures beyond a prison economy.
The Communications and Media Associate plays a critical role in increasing the impact of Innovation Law Lab’s communications plans, messaging, and strategic initiatives. The Communications and Media Associate will coordinate aspects of the organization’s media relations, including press releases, talking points, earned media, messaging guidance, op-eds, and media interviews. The Communications and Media Associate will also participate in Innovation Law Lab’s use of data-driven and human-centered multimedia shared through social channels, website blog posts, and email newsletters with the goal of keeping supporters and the general public informed while elevating Innovation Law Lab’s mission, theory of change, and work.
The Communications and Media Associate will report to the Director of Strategy and will maintain strong relationships with Innovation Law Lab staff, partner organizations, law firms, media stakeholders and supporters across the country.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate communications strategies for Innovation Law Lab programs, advocacy projects, and impact litigation efforts while working in close partnership with staff, partner organizations, and stakeholders;
- Monitor news coverage on key issue areas, maintain relationships with members of traditional news media and emerging digital news outlets, and pitch stories, editorial coverage, and other types of engagement;
- Draft email action alerts, and participate in email action network strategy, in close collaboration with Innovation Law Lab staff, partner organizations, and stakeholders;
- Coordinate and implement social media opportunities to promote Innovation Law Lab’s work and resources with the goal of fostering loyal organizational followings on social media platforms;
- Foster work that builds loyal organizational followings on social media platforms. Ensure objectives, tasks and projects are completed on time and are efficiently managed;
- Participate in the creation of an inspiring team environment;
- Support the relevant team members in project development, management, and evaluation as it relates to the objectives they are driving;
- Support the process for determining program direction and defining tactics for the objectives they are driving;
- Work with directors and collaborating team members to maintain a coherent body of work across Innovation Law Lab’s diverse portfolio, and seeks opportunities to elevate Innovation Law Lab’s work;
- Other duties as assigned to promote our organizational work and foster strategic relationships.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The following are the minimum levels required to successfully perform the essential job duties and responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent years of experience;
- Two to three years experience in at least one of the following: new media, traditional media, digital communications, graphic design, branding, or message development;
- Advanced written, analytical, verbal, and organizational skills with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, respectfully, and compellingly;
- Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds is highly preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to be creative and resourceful in a rapidly shifting advocacy space.
- Demonstrated commitment to immigrants’ rights and the rule of law
Environment: Law Lab is based in Portland, Oregon, and has a distributed team with staff working remotely. The position is based in Portland with the incumbent working out of the Portland office. The position interacts constantly with staff, stakeholders, and partner organizations.
Hours: The Communications and Media Associate works a full-time schedule regularly consisting of a minimum of 40 hours per week. The position is classified as non-exempt and is eligible for overtime pay. Regular business hours are Monday – Friday from 8am – 5pm. This position may be required to work extended hours based on fluctuating workloads and business needs. This may include evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Other Duties and Responsibilities: This job description is a summary of the essential duties and responsibilities for this job, and it does not necessarily represent an all-inclusive list of duties, responsibilities, tasks or procedures. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instruction or assignments. Nothing in this description restricts Law Lab’s right to assign or reassign duties at any time.
Accommodation Statement: Essential job duties and responsibilities are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform the job successfully, an incumbent or applicant must possess the experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform each essential duty and responsibility proficiently. If you require an accommodation in order to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of this job, please contact the Innovation Law Lab’s Operations Director.
Compensation is based on experience and qualifications. The starting range is between $44,000 to $52,250 annually or $21.15-$25 an hr. We offer an excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, ability to enroll in Law Lab’s 401(k) plan, paid time off and public transportation subsidy.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion statement
At Innovation Law Lab, our aim is to foster a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment where everyone feels empowered to be their whole selves and is treated with dignity and respect. We welcome applications from qualified individuals, irrespective of their race, skin color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, disability status, or any other characteristic.
How To Apply
To apply, send your resume, cover letter and 2 writing samples or design portfolio (if applicable) to email@example.com. Questions may also be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. While applications will be accepted until the position is filled, we anticipate we will begin conducting interviews in late May 2023.
Innovation Law Lab is an Equal Opportunity Employer