Interested in Joining Our Team? Innovation Law Lab is Hiring!
Job title(s): Senior Staff Attorney / Staff Attorney
Version Date: August 22, 2023
Closing: Open until filled
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Anywhere in United States
Innovation Law Lab (Law Lab) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that leverages technology, law, and organizing to fight for immigrant and refugee justice.
Attorneys at Innovation Law Lab are responsible for driving multiple specific objectives within Innovation Law Lab’s diverse portfolio of work. Attorneys are part of an in-house counsel team that employs creative legal and advocacy strategies to directly challenge barriers to asylum access, prototype new inclusive systems and policy work, provide legal representation and combat injustices in the immigration legal system, and advocate for detained individuals while working to shut down immigration prisons.
Innovation Law Lab seeks experienced attorneys who are self-motivated, professional, creative, and interested in contributing to a diverse array of goals, objectives, projects and programs that leverage law, technology and organizing to advance immigrant and refugee justice. We seek attorneys who are ready to wear many hats, consistently support team members with numerous projects, take initiative and communicate proactively, work independently, and play an active role in achieving the goals and objectives of the organization. Attorneys will report to our Legal Director or Director of Legal Advocacy.
For this recruitment, we are looking to fill up to two attorney positions at the Senior Staff Attorney and/or Staff Attorney levels. Attorneys should be prepared to provide legal representation, including both defensive and affirmative immigration work, on both detained and non-detained dockets. Attorney responsibilities may include strategizing to improve the effectiveness of universal representation programs, mentoring fellow attorneys, working with policymakers to enact inclusive state policies, and developing creative litigation and legal advocacy. Attorneys should expect to work across Innovation Law Lab’s various program areas, including supporting the work of Equity Corps of Oregon, helping the implementation of funds administered through the Oregon Worker Relief coalition, and offering legal support to our Anticarceral Legal Organizing team. Innovation Law Lab is headquartered in Portland, Oregon, but these positions may be based anywhere in the United States.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with staff in creating and analyzing legal strategies; personalizing case interventions/actions; and contributing to the development of best practices at the intersection of technology and the law.
- Support colleagues and legal advocates at partner organizations with case development and strategy for defensive and affirmative immigration cases before EOIR and USCIS.
- Develop materials to train and aid staff, pro bono attorneys, legal fellows, clients, and pro se respondents as they endeavor to navigate the complex immigration system.
- Lead and support litigation efforts, including several ongoing immigrant rights class actions in federal court.
- Engage in outreach and education (provide immigrant rights trainings, speak at key conferences and community forums, and other opportunities as they arise).
- Provide technical assistance on immigration-related issues to coalitions, community partners, government officials, and government bodies.
- Engage in policy research and assist in drafting policy reports and recommendations.
- Support collaborating team members in their work, ensuring focus and wise use of resources within project objectives.
- Ensure objectives, tasks and projects are completed on time and are efficiently managed.
- Contribute to an inspiring team environment.
- Participate in and lead committee and partner meetings, as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The following are the minimum levels required to successfully perform the essential job duties and responsibilities.
- JD degree and admission to the bar.
- For the Staff Attorney position – At least two years of experience practicing immigration law and/or litigating in federal or state court; law school clinics and externships may count toward the two years for exceptional applicants. Preference will be given to candidates with prior experience in removal defense or other immigrant rights work.
- For the Senior Staff Attorney position – At least five years of experience practicing immigration law and/or litigating in federal or state court. Preference will be given to candidates with prior experience in both defensive and affirmative immigration representation.
- Demonstrated commitment to immigrant rights and social justice.
- Excellent written, analytical, oral, organizational and time management skills.
- Well-organized, efficient, highly self-motivated, able to work well under pressure, and able to work independently and as part of a remote team.
- Must maintain professional demeanor and excellent work ethic at all times.
- Knowledge of BIA and Immigration Court procedures.
- Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds, including low-income populations, people who are marginally housed, immigrants, LGBTQ+ individuals, people of color and/or persons with disabilities.
- Advanced Spanish language skills strongly preferred but not required.
Salary for these positions is commensurate with experience. The salary range for this position for an applicant who fits our Staff Attorney experience level is $63,250-86,250; at the Senior Staff Attorney experience level, it is $79,300-103,700. Benefits include full medical, vision, and dental insurance for staff members; a 401(k) plan; accrued vacation and sick leave after the first 60 days of employment; and 9 paid holidays and two floating holidays a year. Candidates who will be in the Portland area will have access to office space in our downtown Portland office. Law Lab provides TriMet transit passes to access public transportation in the Portland Metro Area.
Environment and Physical Requirements:
The Senior Staff Attorney and Staff Attorney work primarily in an office environment; however, the position may travel to locations throughout the United States and potentially internationally to advocate for immigrant rights issues. These locations may include cities where Innovation Law Lab has established an active local presence, including but not limited to immigration courts, immigrant detention centers, law firms, and government buildings in Oregon and New Mexico. The position interacts with Law Lab staff, advocacy groups, clients, government agencies, and others. The Senior Staff Attorney and Staff Attorney sit for extended periods of the workday, but also stand, walk, bend, lift, and move intermittently during working hours. The incumbent must be able to lift, push, pull and move files and document in excess of 10 pounds.
The Senior Staff Attorney and Staff Attorney should expect to work a full-time schedule of not less than 40 hours a week at the incumbent’s discretion based on business need, including availability during core weekday working hours as determined by the Legal Director and Director of Legal Advocacy. The actual time required may exceed 40 hours a week as work or needs require. Attorneys may be required to work extended hours based on fluctuating workloads, including evenings, weekends, and holidays. The position is classified as exempt and is not eligible for overtime pay.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
This job description is a summary of the essential duties and responsibilities for this job, and it does not necessarily represent an all-inclusive list of duties, responsibilities, tasks or procedures. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instruction or assignments. Nothing in this description restricts Law Lab’s right to assign or reassign duties at any time.
Essential job duties and responsibilities are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform the job successfully, an incumbent or applicant must possess the experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform each essential duty and responsibility proficiently. If you require an accommodation in order to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of this job, please contact the Law Lab Executive Director.
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Questions may also be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin on September 11, 2023, and will continue until the position is filled.
Innovation Law Lab is an Equal Opportunity Employer.