Date: 09/09/2022 Due date: Position Open until filled
Category: Regular, Full Time FLSA Status: Exempt
Equal parts lawyers, engineers, and organizers, Innovation Law Lab is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that leverages advocacy, technology and law to fight for immigrant and refugee justice. Law Lab is a central part of some of the most important immigration cases of our time, including Las Americas v. Trump, Remain In Mexico, and various asylum bans. We coordinate this litigation with a variety of programs to defend asylum and fundamental human rights.
Law Lab’s engineering team maintains a variety of code bases to support our organization’s many projects. From secure document access to immigration case management, we oversee critical infrastructure and applications in the fight for immigrant and refugee justice.
- Creating and maintaining a variety of technical projects to support immigrants, attorneys, and community organizations
- Regular collaboration with attorneys, program leads, and partners
- Engineering efficient and secure systems to digitally manage cases, court observations, secure document storage / access, etc
- Digging into, and refactoring, large code bases
Background / Experience:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field or equivalent relevant experience
- A minimum of 2 years experience designing, planning, implementing, and testing database-driven web applications
- Substantial experience with Ruby and Ruby on Rails
- Solid understanding of relational databases (Postgres and MySQL) and object-relational mapping (ORM) frameworks like ActiveRecord
- Excellent test automation and scripting skills; strong understanding of QA processes; proficient knowledge of virtualization testing environments and controlled test environments; and strong technical skills with a variety of business software tools is preferred.
- Experience designing and implementing RESTful APIs
- Experience using Linux systems
- Familiarity with deployment pipelines and version control tools
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively on a team
Environment: Law Lab is based in Portland, Oregon, and has a distributed team with many staff living elsewhere and working remotely. If based in Portland, Oregon, the Software Engineer would regularly work out of the Law Lab office in Portland. Remote candidates from other geographical areas could work remotely, and potentially travel to Portland for meetings about twice a year, or more frequently. The position interacts constantly with staff, other engineers and, at times, with platform users. Applicant must be US-based.
Hours: The Software Engineer position is full time and entails a minimum of 32 hours per week, although business needs require significantly more hours. This may include evenings, weekends, and holidays. The position is classified as exempt and is not eligible for overtime pay. You can expect to work 8:30am to 5:00pm Monday through Thursday, and 8:30am to 4:00pm on Fridays.
Other Duties and Responsibilities: This job description is a summary of the essential duties and responsibilities for this job, and it does not necessarily represent an all-inclusive list of duties, responsibilities, tasks or procedures. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instruction or assignments. Nothing in this description restricts Law Lab’s right to assign or reassign duties at any time.
Salary & Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $71,500 – 97,500, commensurate with experience. Innovation Law Lab offers a full package of benefits including medical, dental and vision coverage, life insurance, paid vacation, personal, and sick days, and paid parental leave, as well as 401k retirement plan.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion statement
At Innovation Law Lab, our aim is to foster a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment where everyone feels empowered to be their whole selves and is treated with dignity and respect. We welcome applications from qualified individuals, irrespective of their race, skin color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, disability status, or any other characteristic. We especially encourage non-binary individuals, women, people of color, and people of backgrounds often excluded from tech to apply.
How To Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject Software Engineer. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Our hiring team will contact you should your application meet the requirements for this position. This position will be open until filled.
When submitting your application, please include your preferred gender pronouns and/or title.
Innovation Law Lab is an Equal Opportunity Employer