Job Title: Staff Attorney Date Posted: 3/20/2019
Open until filled
Category: Full time, permanent FLSA Status: Exempt
Innovation Law Lab (Law Lab) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to elevating humanity over fear. We combine technology and litigation to permanently end the mass incarceration and deportation of immigrants and refugees.
The Staff Attorney is a position in our growing legal program. The Staff Attorney will use creative legal and advocacy strategies to directly challenge prolonged detention, constitutional violations, and other injustices in the immigration legal system. The Staff Attorney will be primarily charged with discussing and designing best strategies to provide legal representation in immigration and other related proceedings, providing support and interventions in ongoing immigration court cases, including cases involving asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, removal proceedings, other forms of immigration relief, and anti-detention remedies. The Staff Attorney will report to the Legal Director and serve as an integral member of the law program. Innovation Law Lab is headquartered in Portland, Oregon, but this position may be based anywhere in the United States.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervise and mentor pro bono attorneys representing individuals in removal proceedings before the Executive Offices for Immigration Review (EOIR) and USCIS.
- Collaborate with staff in creating and analyzing legal strategies; personalizing case interventions/actions; and contributing to the development of best practices at the intersection of technology and the law.
- Engage in outreach and education (provide immigrant rights trainings, speak at key conferences and community forums, and other opportunities as they arise)
- Develop materials to train and aid staff, pro bono attorneys, clients, and pro se respondents as they endeavor to navigate the complex immigration system.
- Travel nationally and internationally for team convenings, trainings, collaborative projects, and other engagements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The following are the minimum levels required to successfully perform the essential job duties and responsibilities.
- JD degree and admission to the bar.
- Minimum of two years experience practicing immigration law. Preference will be given to those with additional years of direct services experience.
- Knowledge of BIA and Immigration Court procedures.
- Excellent written, analytical, oral, organizational and time management skills.
- Well-organized, efficient, highly motivated, able to work well under pressure, and able to work independently and as part of a remote team.
- Must maintain professional demeanor and excellent work ethics at all times.
- Demonstrated commitment to immigrant rights and social justice.
- Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds, including low-income populations, people who are marginally housed, immigrants, LGBTQ individuals, people of color and/or persons with disabilities.
- Advanced Spanish language skills strongly preferred.
Environment and Physical Requirements:
The Staff Attorney works primarily in an office environment; however, the position may travel to locations throughout the United States and potentially internationally to advocate for the immigrant rights issues. These locations may include cities where Innovation Law Lab has established “Centers of Excellence,” immigrant detention centers, law firms, and government buildings. The position interacts with Law Lab staff, advocacy groups, clients, government agencies, and others. The Staff Attorney sits for extended periods of the workday, but also stands, walks, bends, lifts, and moves intermittently during working hours. The incumbent must be able to lift, push, pull and move files and document in excess of 10 pounds.
The Staff Attorney works a full-time schedule of not less than 32 hour a week at the incumbent’s discretion based on business need. The actual time required will often exceed 32 hours a week. The Staff Attorney may be required to work extended hours based on fluctuating workloads. This may include evenings, weekends, and holidays. The position is classified as exempt and is not eligible for overtime pay.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
This job description is a summary of the essential duties and responsibilities for this job, and it does not necessarily represent an all-inclusive list of duties, responsibilities, tasks or procedures. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instruction or assignments. Nothing in this description restricts Law Lab’s right to assign or reassign duties at any time.
Essential job duties and responsibilities are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform the job successfully, an incumbent or applicant must possess the experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform each essential duty and responsibility proficiently. If you require an accommodation in order to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of this job, please contact the Law Lab Executive Director.
Innovation Law Lab is an Equal Opportunity Employer.